Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes
The Honors College is sponsoring an alternative break trip for the upcoming March 2023 Spring Break to work with Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA. Camp Blue Skies provides camps to adults with developmental disabilities and enhances their lives through recreation, socialization and life skills education. Their camps are held in the spring and fall in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Camp Twin Lakes is a network of camps for children and families with serious illnesses, disabilities, and other challenges. Participants in this alternative break trip will work with the staff and volunteers from both camps as they create a fun and engaging week of activities. Students will serve in two roles as cabin counselors and activity leaders.
Participants will be led by Dr. Francis Desiderio, associate dean of the Honors College, Mr. Dan Matthews, chief operations officer at Camp Twin Lakes, and Mr. Richard Sesler, director of Camp Blue Skies, as well as the teams from both camps.
Program Dates: Sunday, March 12 to Friday, March 17, 2023
Application Deadline: EXTENDED – January 13, 2023
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: Volunteers who have both vaccinations may be in the cabins with campers. Volunteers who have not been vaccinated may stay in the staff cabins. All volunteers may participate regardless of vaccination status.
To Apply, Click Here: Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes Application. (Make sure you log in to MyGeorgiaSouthern and use your Georgia Southern account to access this form.)
Please note: We are seeking a variety of students across majors and years as well as a good mix of new students and returners. Previous experience on this trip or with adults with developmental disabilities is not necessary. And previous experience on the trip is not a guarantee of selection this year.
All applicants must complete this form and upload it into the application: Camp Twin Lakes Staff Health History There is a link for the upload within the application form. (Make sure you log in to MyGeorgiaSouthern and use your Georgia Southern account to access this form.)
To Make Payments, Click Here (you will need to click to the Camp Twin Lakes option). Please note the payment deadline is Friday, January 20, 2023.
Dates for Camp and Mandatory Meetings:
Please note: There are several mandatory pre-trip, in-trip, and post-trip meetings. Students who participate on the trip must attend all meetings. All campus-based meetings will take place on the Statesboro Campus at Eidson House.
- Wednesday, January 25, 6:00-9:00 pm at Eidson House. At this meeting participants will learn about Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
- Friday to Saturday, February 10-11 or 17-18, at Camp Twin Lakes. This will be an orientation at the camp and students will meet representatives from Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Students will get a tour of the camp, have meals, and go through on-site volunteer orientation to prepare for the week in March. We will leave campus Friday afternoon (around 2:00) and return by Saturday mid-late afternoon.
- Wednesday, March 8, 6:00-9:00 pm at Eidson House. This meeting is the final meeting before camp. In addition to discussing camp and what to expect, we will finalize transportation plans and packing lists.
- WEEK OF CAMP: Leave campus at 9:00 am to arrive at Camp Twin Lakes by 12:00 noon on Sunday, March 13. Return is on the evening of Friday, March 18
- All students MUST attend daily check-in meetings during the week of camp. These will take place after lunch.
- Wednesday, March 22, 6:00-9:00 pm at Eidson House. This is a mandatory, post-camp debriefing meeting. (Dinner to be arranged.)
Participants will stay in cabins at Camp Twin Lakes.
Students will have to transport themselves to Rutledge, GA, a three-hour drive away. Carpooling will be arranged for on-site training and for the week of camp.
Meals are covered at the camp.
Cost: $175 covers lodging and meals at the camp, the meals and lodging at the overnight training, and dinner at the first meeting on campus. Full payment is due by Monday, November 28. (If you are not chosen from the trip, refunds will be made immediately. If you are selected for the trip but withdraw, no refund will be made.)
Application Deadline: Friday December 9, 2022. Application includes health form. Students will be notified of acceptances shortly thereafter. Full payment of $175 is due January 20, 2023.
For more information, contact Dr. Francis Desiderio at email@example.com
Watch our video about this experience:
Last updated: 1/6/2023